Search

12 November 2016

Skill development? idk that sounds too fancy

I've sort of suddenly realised something (again). I'm 12. Well, I knew that, but it never really clicked. I haven't had enough time to be as good at things as the 16 year olds in my social media feeds, so I can't expect myself to be as good as them at something they've practiced a lot more than me. I'm not going to be as good at art as the fine art uni students on my instagram page. I'm not going to be as good at playing an instrument as someone who's been playing for ten times longer than me. I'm not going to be as good at photography as the professional photographers on my PicsArt & Tumblr feeds. But that doesn't matter, because I enjoy making art, playing music, taking photos- and if I carry on doing them out of enjoyment, maybe one day I will be as good as the people I look up to. It's not like I haven't made any progress over the last couple of years. I found a painting the other day which I did about a year ago and remembered being really proud of it, but if I did something that looked like that now, it'd be in the bin. I literally laughed at how bad it was. I always date my art so that I can look back and track my progress, because it never feels like I'm improving. But I look back at something I did six months ago, then look at a realism sketch I did today, and they look like I did them six years apart. So now, if I do something and it's slightly off, I won't get mad, I'll just think of how I'll feel in a year's time when I look at my improvement. If you're already perfect, you can't improve. And getting better at something you enjoy is one of the best feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment